Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"After Sorolla -- White Roses" 12x16 oil on canvas

Something old, something new. The painting is old, a copy of a favorite by one of my favorite artists Joaquin Sorolla. I had wonderful day yesterday in NY with a very good friend. We ended up at my apartment looking at art books including one of Sorolla's work. It reminded me of this painting that I did a long time ago.

Two things to see in NY if you have a chance. One, Sorolla's work at the Hispanic Society. He is truly one of the most amazing artists, and the murals are totally staggering. I could look for hours! There is also a fantastic book available through Amazon that is written and edited by his grand daughter. Email me if you want more info.

Also, (and the reason I don't have a new painting to post) the Matisse exhibit currently at MOMA!!!! Just amazing. Many paintings I have never seen. Many I was not familiar with. The show is so well done. Such a fantastic learning experience. Go, if at all possible!!!!

A new painting tomorrow, I hope. . .

1 comment: